Waitohu School - To Be Our Best

Agricultural Club

Our Agricultural Club begins at the start of Term 3. We are very fortunate to have Alison Moore leading this group. Alison is passionate about students having the opportunity to learn through caring for and rearing a calf, lamb, kid or developing a home garden. Alison has for many years shared her passion by practically enabling many, many, many students to learn from undertaking the considerable committment required to be an Agricultural Club member.

Students do both the practical tasks involved in caring for a pet calf, lamb, kid or home garden, as well as writing a project that outlines what they have done. Alison meets with students regularly to support them.

In early Term 4 we hold our Agricultural Club Day. Independent judges come and judge the students on each the quality of their ring craft (having their pet calf, lamb or kid follow their instructions) as well as their care and rearing (how healthy their pet is). Ribbons and cups are awarded to the top students.

Students can go onto represent Waitohu School at the Horowhenua Agricultural Lamb and Calf Day, where they compete against students from across the district.

Mid way through Term 4 independent judges visit the homes of students to judge their home gardens. The winning gardens are then rejudged by separate judges as part of the Horowhenua Garden Competition.

At our end of year Final Assembly a student from the Agricultural Club is awarded with the 'Alison Moore Agricultural Club' cup. This is in recognition of the committment and quality of work that the winner has exhibited.