Waitohu School - To Be Our Best

Home Learning

At this current time, some students or teachers may be required to self isolate at their home due to having COVID or due to being a close contact to someone who has COVID. During this time Waitohu School will aim to provide a Learning at School programme and a Learning at Home programme of educational activities.

How it will work

Start of the Day:

Learning at school will begin at 9.00am. 

When students arrive at school, they go to their regular classroom. Once the roll has been taken at 9.00am it will be established how many students are at school. Students will be informed once the roll is taken, who their teacher will be, and in which classroom they will be working that day. 

Online learning will begin at 9.30am. 

All junior syndicate students (Rooms 1, 2, 7, 8, 10 & 11) working at home will receive information at this time through the Seesaw App.

All senior syndicate students (Rooms 3, 4, 5, 6 & 12) working at home will be informed by 9.25am, via the Rooms 3, 4, 5, 6 & 12 webpage, who their teacher will be for that day. With this information they will join that teacher’s Google Meet at 9.30am.

If there is any confusion on any day please do not hesitate to ring Maine on 027364313 or email principal@waitohu.school.nz

Learning at School

Students who come to school will be grouped with other students and taught by a teacher who is able to work onsite that day. If your child's teacher is at school they will be taught by their teacher. If their teacher is required to self isolate or is sick they will be taught by a different teacher. Each onsite school day will start with the forming of these classroom groups.

Learning at Home

The impact of COVID isolation requirements suggests it may be likely that teachers or students required to self isolate at home will change over time. Due to this, we have deliberately organised our online learning activities so that:

- any of our junior syndicate teachers can connect with any of our junior syndicate students (Rooms 1, 2, 7, 8, 10 & 11) or 

- any of our senior syndicate teachers can connect with any of our senior syndicate students (Rooms 3, 4, 5, 6 & 12).

This will mean that at different times it may be different teachers who are connecting with your tamariki, either at home or at school. To make this as seamless an experience as possible we will be using two online platforms - Seesaw App for junior students and a Senior Syndicate Google website for senior students.

Please go to the Rooms 1, 2, 7, 8, 10 & 11 page of this COVID Home Learning section of our website to learn about how junior students will participate with online learning opportunities.

Please go to the Rooms 3, 4, 5, 6 & 12 page of this COVID Home Learning section of our website to learn about how senior students will participate with online learning opportunities.

Relationship - the number one priority

What we know about learning is that unless students and adults are relaxed and feeling supported, they cannot learn. Being stressed or pressured puts us into our brainstem. Learning cannot happen when our brainpower is in our brainstem. To learn we need to have our brainpower in our frontal cortex. This happens when we feel relaxed and supported.

Knowing this, we strongly suggest that as a whānau you work out which activities, from the options we provide and the ones you already have, that you could do with your tamariki in a relaxed and supported way. If you or your tamariki find an activity stressful and harmful to your relationship, it isn't worth doing. It is way better to choose a different activity. If what we suggest causes stress, don't do it. Do something different that is good for your relationship. For us, your relationship being ka pai with your tamariki, is the number one priority.