Waitohu School - To Be Our Best

Learning Options

Routines are a real help 

Teachers find having routines that are predictable and realistic makes a real difference. You may like to develop a routine that is realistic for your whānau - it may include some of the options below. Remember they are only suggestions - you will know or discover what is realistic in your home. Please do not stress thinking you have to complete a certain amount or that your child is going to be left behind if they don't complete these tasks. Neither is accurate. What matters most is what works for your whānau to keep relationships strong.

Options - how they work

We have grouped together a variety of learning options and possibilities:

- Te Reo and Tikanga Māori

- Mindfulness

- Rooms 3, 4, 5, 6 & 12 

- Rooms 1, 2, 7, 10 & 11

The major difference between the activities in the classroom pages is our older students have been using a Chromebook in school, so lots of the activities suggested can be communicated to students and completed through their Chromebooks. Most of these students collected their Chromebooks prior to school stopping.

Our younger students are used to working with their teacher using books, pen and paper or playing and making with their classmates. A small portion of their learning has been on iPads.

Being realistic about how much reading, writing or maths students complete is really critical.  We have no expectation that children will be doing or concentrating on focused 'schoolwork' all day. That is both unrealistic and not what happens at school. Being part of discussions, listening to and celebrating others' work, hearing others read, chatting with friends, structured and unstructured play and physical activity, art work, being distracted, doing jobs for the class ... all make up the day.

Praise, praise and more praise of your child's efforts helps heaps. Patience is a teacher's best friend. Celebrating the small steps and courageous learning efforts and gains our tamariki make, is the only effective way. Learning only happens when our brainpower is in our frontal cortex, and this only happens when we feel relaxed and supported.

What matters most is what works for your whānau to keep relationships strong.