Waitohu School - To Be Our Best

Rooms' 3, 4, 5, 6 & 12

Kia ora from all the Senior Syndicate teachers,

The start of Term 2 (beginning Wednesday 15 April) is going to look a bit different for school.  Most of the Senior Syndicate learning will be based on each class website.

Each class has its own website and can be accessed using the different links below:

Class sites

Room 3

Room 4

Room 5

Room 6

Room 12

Students in Rooms 3, 4 and 12 are very familiar with going on to their website and using this as a base for working. Room 5 students and Year 4 students in Room 6, are very new to a lot of this technology. PLEASE do not expect them to be independent in using the websites on their Chromebook. Most likely they will need your support, or the support of an older sibling or whānau member should you choose to use class sites.

Each website is divided into curriculum areas. Classroom teachers will be providing a programme of work for your children. The children should have the passwords that they need for Mathletics, Reading Eggpress, and Stepsweb (if they use this). These are online websites we use at school to support numeracy and literacy learning. If they can’t access what they need please contact:

- Maine at principal@waitohu.school.nz (prior to April 15th) or 

- Their classroom teacher (after April 15th) and these will be emailed to you

At Waitohu School we use a New Zealand developed, cloud-based, instructional management system called Hāpara. Hāpara helps us to create a safe online learning environment. Teachers are able to set up documents for the children to use in their learning and they can access all of the work students produce on their Chromebooks.

Please note teachers cannot see what is on the childrens' screens when they are working at home. We suggest students use their Chromebooks in a public part of your home and that you are regularly checking in to see what they are choosing to do while on their Chromebook.

We suggest that working for 20 to 30 minutes (maximum), on any of these curriculum areas at one time is appropriate. Remember there are also a lot of fun activities that can be accessed off the Extra Suggestions page. These times need to be fun - not a strain or stress to anyone.