Waitohu School - To Be Our Best

What a magnificent array of learning and celebrations we had in 2013, to mark our 50th Jubilee year. 

Our students had a strong learning focus on life in the 1960’s and comparing it to the life they live now. The enjoyment of designing 1960’s clothes, eating 1960’s party food, singing songs by the Beatles and the Beach Boys, dancing the Twist and Mashed Potato, comparing school discipline styles (the strap and writing lines!) has created many smiles. 

Our 1960’s theme for our annual Fancy Dress Dance Evening was an absolute treat.

On the Saturday of Labour weekend many of the original parents and students who began or attended our school, as well students from across the years enjoyed a special time gathering to reminisce and see all the developments ‘our’ school has made. A special highlight was watching the DVD of the clearing of the fields, building of the school and opening day. I want to thank Ian Ballantyne, Alison Moore, Lynne Walker, Max Lutz, Scott Kyle, Leigh Rau, Rodney Moffatt and Simone Brooker for all their work to make this day possible. My thanks also to James Cootes, of Kiss and Bake Up, for the spectacular 50th Jubilee cake! Photos of this celebration are available via our website due to the generosity of Jo Michat.

The Thursday following our Labour Weekend celebration, students in their matai, kowhai, nikau and tawa rōpū, enjoyed a wide array of activities culminating in the eating of their rōpū ‘Happy 50th Birthday cupcakes’!  

Our special Jubilee magazine, that tells our Waitohu School story, was ‘released’ on the Saturday of the Jubilee weekend. Founding pupil Ian Carson, of ID Media Ltd Otaki has very generously given his time to format this special magazine. Every current Waitohu School whanau has received a copy. My thanks to the sponsors within the magazine for making the publication possible. If your whanau would like a copy or additional copies please either write a note or come into the office to collect. It is my intention that those who would like a copy, for safe keeping and future reminiscing, may have one. 

We look forward to celebrating our 75th Jubilee in 2038!!

Maine Curtis
Principal
Waitohu School