At Waitohu School Year 4 - Year 6 students are enrolled in the very successful web based package called Mathletics (3P Learning Ltd). It costs $20 per student. This is currently funded by the Home and School Association and the Board of Trustees.
Subscribing to Mathletics entitles students to 24-hour web access both at home and in school.
To access Mathletics click http://www.mathletics.co.nz/
Each child has a unique username and password.
Some features of Mathletics that are really beneficial are:
- Students are working at their ability level through highly engaging mathematical tasks.
- Teachers set the levels and activities that students can access.
- Teachers receive detailed feedback on how students are doing.
- Animated supports guide students through the concepts.
- Activities can be repeated with different questions so practice can reinforce understanding.
- Using the 'Live Mathletics Game Engine', exciting real time challenges are possible with students all over New Zealand - and the world.
For students to gain the greatest benefit from this online learning tool, it's really important that:
- Parents take an active interest in how well students are achieving and praising their achievements.
- While it's great to help, older friends or family 'giving' students the answers only makes future questions too difficult. Students must be the only ones answering the questions.
- Talk with your child's teacher about how the Mathletics programme is going. Remember there is no such thing as a silly question. Come and have a chat if you're unsure about any part of this learning tool.
A huge thanks to our wonderful Home and School Association for fundraising and paying half of the cost of making this learning tool available.